Final exam part E

Family- Bowview Manor poem

1. The title was me putting the overall theme of the poem into one word. When I was writing this, family was the main idea I was working with, so I found it appropriate to make that the title of the poem.
  2. Cherish every moment possible with your loved ones, you never know when it could all be gone.
  3. I tried to write this from the perspective of Doctor Roy, the man I interviewed at Bowview Manor. He cherished his family a lot and had a huge wall of family pictures in his room. I wanted this poem to be for his loved ones, something to make them feel better about the unfortunate state Doctor Roy is currently at, he can barely communicate and move, which is something that is obviously very hard to see if you are one of his loved ones. So this poem was meant for them to hopefully enjoy.
  4. Doctor Roy was my inspiration for this poem, I wrote this about everything he told me about his life. I didn’t get much out of him, but what I did get was that he had a huge love for his family.
  5. I maintained the same few rhyme schemes for the entirety of the poem. I started out with “as time passes, the nostalgic times with my family passes what I once imagined,” and I maintained that scheme for a lot of the poem, and only used a few more after that. The reason I did this was that I wanted the poem to be really easy to read and have a very nice flow to it, almost like there’s a rhythm when you read it. This would make it more enjoyable being that it is a very sad and sentimental poem.
  6. When I was interviewing Doctor Roy for the information I needed to create this piece, it was very difficult because I didn’t get much from him due to struggle to communicate fluently. This left me with not much to use to create a poem. But I managed to string one together using his love for family.
  7. This piece was the hardest to make for me due to the lack of information I could use, but that is also what I am the proudest of it. I managed to make this with very little inspiration, and I think I did a pretty decent job with what I had.

Trapped

1. I chose trapped as the title because that’s what I felt like the story was overall about. This person was trapped under the shackles of a record label, which prohibited his creativity. Considering this being the main plot of the story, I figured that trapped would be a good title.
  2. Your body may be free, and you may not be imprisoned, but is your mind truly free?
  3. I wanted to make this piece to show people that you can be imprisoned without being locked up. Prohibiting someone’s creativity is equivalent to imprisoning someone’s mind in my opinion, which can be just as bad at times. I didn’t write this for any particular audience, I just wrote this for anyone who is willing to read and hope that they have some food for thought to digest by the end of it.
  4. Kendrick Lamar’s 2016 grammy performance inspired me to write this short story. A bunch of prisoners is displayed and Kendrick says “they can trap our bodies, but can’t block our minds,” I was inspired by this and decided to write about the parallel being displayed. Instead of one’s body being trapped but their mind is free, how about have someone physically be free but mentally be restrained. That’s what inspired me to write this story.
  5. I decided to make this a short story because I simply could not see me getting my point across properly in a poem. I needed more space to craft my idea so I went with a short story. There is no specific style behind the story though, I just decided to write a story about a certain topic and this is what I came up with.
  6. Short stories are my least favorite form of writing and I usually never even think about writing one if I don’t have to. Considering that this was a free choice and I could write about whatever I wanted to, a short story was a big surprise for me. But, it was the only way my concept would work, so I had to tough it up and make one. This was one of the longest times I worked on a piece simply because my short story skills were really lacking, but I finished in the end and I felt like I did a pretty good job.